To counteract the evil spell Dive has placed on Christmas, I will complete his meme, upping the ante. Answer this, you curmudgeon.
1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Egg nog, nice and cold.
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? I'm pretty sure he doesn't wrap them. The wrapped presents are from Santa frauds--parents who have no faith in the Old Man and think they have to provide the gifts.
3. Coloured lights on tree/house or white? I don't decorate the outside of my house because the roof line is too complicated. I wouldn't know where to put lights. My trees have small white lights, as do the garlands over the mantels.
4. Do you hang mistletoe? No.
5. When do you put your decorations up? The weekend after Thanksgiving, except at the lake house. I haven't made a trip there yet to put up the little fake woodsy tree that is decorated with birdhouses and cardinals.
6. What is your favourite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?
Probably my mother's cornbread stuffing/dressing, although the stew she serves over the holidays in old chipped bowls with mismatched spoons is always nice.
7. Favourite holiday memory as a child? I have written about this in detail--here.
8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I believe, I believe, I believe.
9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? My family has opened presents on Christmas Eve since I was twelve, but just last year we switched and now open them on Christmas Day.
10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? I use wide red and gold ribbon, strings of clear beads, and an assortment of ornaments I've collected over the years.
11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? Snow, absolutely. But I haven't had a white Christmas in years.
12. Can you ice skate? No, it requires more physical coordination than I have.
13. Do you remember your favourite gift? My horn was a birthday gift, but I can't think of a specific Christmas gift that stands out.
14. What's the most important thing about the holidays for you? I recognize the sacred nature of the day, but for me it's an entire season, and it means a chance to spend time with my mother and sisters and their families. I only see them all for two days at Christmas.
15. What is your favourite holiday dessert? Pecan pie.
16. What is your favourite holiday tradition? If you didn't read the link at #7, then read it here.
17. What tops your tree? A large angel with a gold dress and burgundy ribbon. She plays a French horn.
18. Which do you prefer; giving or receiving? I prefer giving gifts, and prefer making those gifts for each specific person.
19. What is your favourite Christmas Song? Mel Torme's The Christmas Song. I also like Silent Night. My father always liked to sing it, and when I hear it, it's as if he were in the room tapping his foot and making up harmony, and words.
20. Candy Canes! I'm indifferent. But ribbon candy is another story, as is salt water taffy. When I was a kid, my poor Alabama grandmother used to ship a big box of homemade salt water taffy to us every year flavored with all kinds of extracts like anise and licorice.
21. Favourite Christmas movie? It's A Wonderful Life and Holiday Inn and White Christmas and The Lemon Drop Kid and Miracle on 34th Street. There is no short answer to this question. Maybe Dive's answer was best.