In 1772, David Zeisberger, a Moravian missionary, moved to the Tuscarawas River with a few Delaware Indian families that had converted to Christianity. They built a village named Schoenbrunn, which means "beautiful spring" in German. They built the first school house in Ohio, developed skills in various trades, and lived as pacifists during the Revolutionary War. Their town grew to over 400 Delaware and Moravians, but they were pressured by hostile natives controlled by the British and by aggressive frontiersmen. When they realized their pocket of peace wouldn't last, they held one last worship service and then dismantled their church.
They moved their settlement, but the British eventually took complete control. Some of the Moravians were tried as American spies, and the Delaware were sent off to another location. Eventually, they were allowed back to their settlements to collect their belongings. They were captured by an American militia that believed the Indians were aiding the British, and they were massacred--62 adults and 34 children.
We have an outdoor play telling this story that runs all summer long. Here is a picture of the church after it was reconstructed in the first half of the 1900s.