Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Listen to This, Would Ya?—Vegetable Orchestra

When I was a kid, we used to put waxed paper over a comb and make a kazoo sound with it, and we used to blow through an empty Good 'N Plenty box to make a squeaky kind of annoying sound, and we were good at humming with and against the hum of the vacuum cleaner to make different sound waves. We never thought to make an orchestra from vegetables, though. I wish we had.

Here is a brief demonstration on making musical instruments from vegetables featuring my new hero:



And if you're thinking you prefer ensemble performance to solo playing, then here this is for you:

6 comments:

dive said...

Woohoo, Robyn!
That is too much fun!
I particularly loved the sweet pepper mute work.
Now I can't wait to get home and attack the contents of my vegetable rack with a power drill.
Cool!

savannah said...

that is too wild for words, sugar! xox

Shan said...

Amazing! Oh the things people can do! I have always enjoyed the photos of animals made from a colorful assortment of veggies. BUT never have I seen such instrumentation! Isn't it crazy how he managed to get at least five semi-tuned notes out of most of them? :D

MmeBenaut said...

Absolutely amazing! I loved the carrot flute and also the percussion with carrot, cucumber and swede?

Forget the recorder, take up the carrot!

Cheri said...

Coolness.

And I forgot about the musical Good 'N Plenty boxes.

Mrs. G. said...

I have some zucchini in the fridge-hmmm...