Design Partner Ashley and I spent yesterday working on book cover projects. We began at the costume shop in Canton where we sorted through rows and rows of theater costumes looking for dresses from the 1600s, 1800s, and 1940s. In this row, I found a dress from the Music Man section for a model with a beautiful headshot and measurements just right for the costume. Unfortunately, she didn't tell anyone she had gained 15 to 20 pounds and let her hair go from the mahagony brown I needed to its original blond since that headshot was made. The dress didn't fit, so we'll reshoot next week with a different girl.
In this bin of hats from every theater production you can name, we found a couple of hats to go with our costumes.
After we rented all of the costumes, we went to the photographer's studio. We schedule the models so that while one is being shot, the next one is in the dressing room having her hair done up in some kind of Victorian do. That way we can work efficiently and earn our keep every moment of the day. But in those rare moments when we're waiting for the models to finish with the makeup or the curling of that last tendril, we find ways to amuse ourselves.
Here is Ashley testing the pressure of various clamps that we use to tighten costumes that are too large, clamps that were not necessary with the model in the Music Man getup. This clamp hurt.