Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Roast Leg of Lamb

Isn't this sheep cute and attentive to the camera? It may be in poor taste to show a live animal as you're about to talk about the cooked version, but photos of raw meat are never appealing. So, excuse the illustration I've chosen to accompany a lamb recipe.

Buying lamb at my local grocery store is a hit or miss activity, and I think they only sell it in weeks leading up to Easter. Once when I was determined to serve grilled chops for dinner, I went to five different stores in three different towns before giving up.

Over the weekend, I discovered they were selling boneless leg of lamb. I've made lamb stew and roasted lamb chops, but never a leg. I prefer not to think about body parts when I cook meat, and with beef or pork, it's not an issue. We don't cook leg of calf or boneless pig leg.

Anyway, I went to work looking for recipes for cooking this thing that looks like a roast, and I combined two to come up with this:

1/4 large onion roughly chopped
3 garlic cloves, peeled
1 tablespoon fresh mint leaves
1 tablespoon paprika
1/2 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
Pinch of cinnamon
1/4 cup olive oil
juice of half a lemon

Boneless leg of lamb—2 to 3 pounds

In the bowl of a food processor, combine all the ingredients except oil and juice. Pulse into a paste. Add oil and juice and pulse until thoroughly combined.

Preheat oven to 450˚. Place roast in a shallow roasting pan and coat with seasoning mixture. Roast for 30 minutes. Turn the temperature down to 375˚ and roast an additional 30 minutes or until roast reaches an internal temperature of 140˚ for medium. Allow roast to rest for 5 to 10 minutes before carving.

To make this an entire meal, I added halved new potatoes to the roasting pan when I turned down the oven temperature. And I broiled asparagus spears coated with olive oil for 5 minutes while the meat was resting. Enjoy!

8 comments:

kyle@sift said...

You should just buy lamb from Trinity Woolen Mill. Anne sells meat as well. I would imagine it is a lot better than the factory farmed stuff you find at the grocery store.

Scout said...

Kyle, good point, except that Anne only butchers one or two lambs a year, I think, and doesn't sell much. Last fall, she said she'd set some aside for me, but I haven't called her yet.

Eustacia said...

I always like looking at pictures of what I eat before I eat it....

p.s. I officially changed my account name to the one you gave me.

savannah said...

sounds delish, sugar! my favorite leg o'lambie is much simpler: poke slits in leg and stuff with slivers of garlic and chopped rosemary & parsley. then roast as you had planned. oh, and brush the leg with olive oil seasoned with salt and pepper. you supper sounds magnificent! the MITM is making a french inspired "rustic rabbit" - i'm just prepping & cleaning up! xoxoxo

savannah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dive said...

Dammit, I shouldn't read these things at breakfast. Now my stomach will rumble right through to dinner time.
Robyn, you really should move to a civilised country where organic food is not stifled by the insane greed of the agrichemical lobbyists.
I'm gonna walk into the village at lunchtime and get myself lambed-up.

Shazza said...

Sounds wonderful Robyn. I love lamb.

Lulubelle B said...

Your cute lamb pic reminded me of Dive's baby wabbit post...

http://smallglassplanet.blogspot.com/2009/09/whats-cooking-with-phil-and-er-dive.html

;^D